The fjordside village of Sand and its shipbuilding industry had their heyday at the end of the 19th century. The sloop called the “Brothers of Sand" is a tangible reminder of this era.
During the summer, the sloop is usually moored at Ryfylke Museum at Nesa Wharf in Sand, unless she is sailing. Built in 1866, “Brothers of Sand" was also based in Sand in times past. Since 1997 the vessel has been owned by the Ryfylke Museum, which had her brought back to her former glory at the Hardanger Vessel Restoration Centre. Today an association of friends takes care of its maintenance and operation, and also provides the volunteer skipper and crew.
Guided tours of the ship, and sailing trips on the fjord, on request.
Ryfylke Museum Tel. (+47) 52 79 29 50, firstname.lastname@example.org